Today we are talking Watermelon! Watermelon is one of those “super fruits”, there is so many benefits there’s too many to list!
Benefits of Watermelon:
– High in Antioxidants
– Helps lower Blood Pressure: Hypertension, or high blood pressure, is the most common condition seen in primary care and commonly leads to heart attacks, strokes, and other fatal diseases if untreated. Clinical trials have shown that supplementation with watermelon and watermelon juices can actually reduce your aortic blood pressure and may even provide cardio protection to keep your heart healthy and working smoothly
– Helps Detox the Kidneys: There’s an abundant supply of calcium and potassium, each of which contribute to helping flush out the toxins in the kidneys
– Cancer Fighting: Lycopene, found in Watermelon, is a dietary component that seems to interfere with the numerous stages in the development of cancer. With the incredible antioxidant potential and the impact of lycopene, all factors make this amazing fruit an even better cancer-fighting food.
– Weight Loss
– Healthy Bones, Skin & Hair
When shopping for watermelon:
– Choose fruit with the deepest color of flesh and without any white streaking
– If the seeds are visible (pre-cut), make sure they are also deep in color or white
– Heavy watermelon means more water, which means the fruit is riper.
– Knocking on the watermelon can also tell you whether or not the watermelon is satisfactory. A fully ripened watermelon should have a deep, hollow sound when you knock on it rather than a solid, shallow sound.
Watermelon Salad Recipe:
4 cups of fresh watermelon, cubed
1 cup of feta, cubed or crumbled
Handful of chopped mint
2 Tbsp of olive oil
1/2 a lime, juiced
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
1. Start by removing the skin of the watermelon and the seeds & cut into small cubes and place in a salad bowl
2. Cut the feta into similar sized cubes and add to the watermelon
3. Chop the fresh mint into small pieces and sprinkle over the salad
4. In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, lime, sea salt and black pepper
5. Pour over the watermelon salad before serving and gently toss to coat the salad evenly
6. Serve immediately or cover and store in the refrigerator until serving
– instead of dressing from above use a balsamic glaze
– make it a meal and top it on arugula or spinach
– add nut of your choice for added crunch
– top with some fresh basil!!